Sunday 1 August 2010

Day trip to Malmesbury

Today Tom and I went to Malmesbury to see his Gran for her 80th birthday. Here's how it went....

After having to get up at what I consider to be a too early time (07:30) we walked down to the train station in Winchester to get the 09:30 train to Chippenham (the closest place to Malmesbury with a train station).

We paid for our tickets with the ticketman who had a handheld printer, and after buying our tickets and going to wait on the platform, I commented to Tom that I thought my ticket had cost more than when I looked it up on the interent, but I just assumed I'd made a mistake. Then lo and behold, just before the train came the ticket man came running onto the platform looking for me, he'd made a mistake with my ticket and wanted to refund me the difference, who was I to complain?!

We got the train to Reading and then changed for the train to Chippenham. As it turned out somewhere along the line the train times had gotten muddled and we arrived a whole hour earlier than we'd anticipated at Chippenham. So rather than hang around at the train station for an hour we decided to walk into Chippenham town center for a look around (unfortuantly it was a Sunday so most of it was closed) but it seemed like a nice place.

After getting picked up by Tom's dad, Mike we drove to Tom's Gran's house, where I met two of Tom's uncles and Sam's girlfriend for the first time.

Pub we went to for lunch
We went to 'The Cat and the Custard Pot' pub for lunch and I had lasagne, which was lovely.

After lunch we went back to the house for a bit of birthday cake, and then it was back to the train station and the journey in reverse.

All in all a nice day out.



Photo copyrighted @ Phil Williams

P.S. while we were at lunch, this particular youtube video was a topic of disscusion. See what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment